Maharaja Jaswant Singh II Ruler of Jodhpur, Marwar from 1876-1895 A.D is remembered as a benevolent Monarch who steered the administration and economy of the state away from chaos and instability to a period of sustained development, security and justice for all. Amongst the prominent civil servants in this Ruler's coterie of administrators, was a young Charan by the name of KavirajMuraridanji. He was an astute politician and a farsighted administrator. In 1894 KavirajMuraridanji received in Jagir the little known hamlet of Chanwa. There he builds an exquisite little fortified haveli, today known as Heritage Hotel Fort Chanwa. In 1941, however the village of Chanwa became "Khalsa" (belonging to the State) as, ironically Muraridanji fell victim to a law introduced by him in the best interest of Marwar,whereby feudal estates lacking a male successor and without arecognized adoption in the life time of the deceased Jagirdar were automatically resumed by the state, after his death.In the year 1948 Chanwa was granted in "Jagir" to MaharajDalip Singh, the youngest son of Maharaja Umaid Singh.
However over the years the fortress sank into years of neglect and decay. In 1992, inspired by a wave of successful restorations to heritage properties and encouraged by the burgeoning tourism traffic into western Rajasthan. MaharajDalip Singh, the 24th generation of direct descent from RaoJodha, ruler and founder of Jodhpur in the 15th century decided to throw open the gates of Chanwa to these new 'invaders". Today Fort Chanwa restored to its pristine glory and charm by its proud owners MaharajDalip Singh & Rani Madhu Devi, warmly welcome travelers from distant lands offering princely hospitality in an inimitably enchanting Setting- a Heritage Hotel in the finest of traditions.
Fort Chanwa of Luni is an exceptional example of the elegance and symmetry in Indian architecture – whether it is the courtyards, towers, waterwheels, stables or passageways – of the 19th century. With its ornately carved lattice work friezes and intricate jharokas, the Fort Chanwa Luni captures the romance and grace of the bygone era.
Carved out of red sandstone of Jodhpur, the fort offers a panoramic view of the village below and the Thar horizon beyond. The village of Luni nestles in the shadow of the Fort wall and is the hub of activity with its many artisans fashioning metal, clay or wood into intricate forms, adept at the skills passed down the centuries by their ancestors. The women, dressed in brilliant Rajasthanicolours, go about their daily chores. At night the Fort, with its huge gates and protective wall, stands proud and strong under a spectacular canopy of stars.
The Fort has been beautifully resorted to its pristine glory by its owners Rani Madhu and MaharajDalip Singh, the youngest son of HH Maharaja Umaid Singh of Jodhpur. Each room has been created and decorated with its own particular charm. The courtyards, verandas and gardens create a bewitching ambience.
✔ A heritage fort restored into an experiential heritage hotel at Luni near Jodhpur.
✔ 55 rooms with a distinct heritage character and modern amenities
✔ F&B area includes multi cuisine restaurant and bar
✔ Recreational facilities include swimming pool, sauna and massage centre
✔ Village safaris portraying the real life of rural countryside organised
✔ Recommended for experiential travellers looking for a heritage retreat to explore rural countryside character while being completely away from urban character of Jodhpur